Saturday, February 20, 2010

I guess I can go ahead and finish that previous post and pretend that I didn't ignore this longer than this guy briefly reemerged for a while last year before redisappearing into obscurity.

Ahem.

The final four are:


Artist: Nellie McKay
Album: Pretty Little Head

My old roommate Bethany told me about ol' Nellie back in the day, and showed me some song called Brooklyn Ave, I believe. It was ok, but I found this album randomly on my iPod while driving one day and gave it a listen. This woman is independent and creative. The album is cram packed with over 20 songs about eeeeverything. She's very satirical and charming. Plenty of wtf moments, too. Give it a listen and try to sort out her confused feelings for her mother in her rap Mama and Me, share in her love of food and it's healing qualities in the aptly titled Food, or enjoy her one sentence story about a cat-attack in Pounce. She covers SEVERAL genres throughout the album, and captures the styles perfectly. Genius. Listen.


Artist: Regina Spektor
Album: 11:11

Ok, well this might not apply as a 'you may not have known' candidate at this point, considering I've shouted my love for Regina over the mountaintops for the last year, but get over it. Even having listened to her new album about 4900 times, I still think this is her best. It was her first album and the songs are nothing but magic. This was before being truly discovered and started having her music 100% produced. She carried songs with her fingers and voice alone, and this album has her heart pulsating throughout. Just listen.


Artist: Five Iron Frenzy
Album: Our Newest Album Ever!

A christian ska band would definitely be applicable to a list like this. I enjoy ska from time to time, but this is simply the best ska band I have ever heard. They emulate all kinds of styles, and even invent a few of their own along the way. Also, they have one of the better senses of humor of any band I've heard, and are very adept at showing how much they enjoy making the music you hear from them. Unfortunately they get typecast as a 'christian' band, which turns a lot of people off, but in their case it means there are a couple songs at most on each album where they share their faith. Please give them a chance. They've been in my favorite band top five since I was 13. Greatness. Big bonus: album artwork by my favorite artist, Doug TenNapel.


Artist: Train
Album: Drops of Jupiter

Have you ever actually listened to the album that contains the song you always sing along to no matter what? Probably not. It's just the definition of a good, solid album. Catchy strong music, clever lyrics, and just all around great musicianship. I love this band. Three albums later, and this is still their very best, in my opinion. If you catch yourself singing along to drops of Jupiter, give this album a chance. The rest is as good or better, I guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment